Awesome New Top for a Patio Table

Many years ago we bought a white metal table with four matching chairs. It had a glass top that measured twenty-eight by forty-eight inches.

We purchased the table at Forward’s Up North Store in Pinconning, Michigan. The antique-lodge decor-knick-knack store was a favorite stop on our trips up north, always followed by breakfast at H & H Bakery and Restaurant.

The table retained its beautiful condition until we moved from our house with a large covered porch. The patio set suffered Michigan winters and summer rain and soon showed signs of rust. I decided it was time to strip the table and chairs for repainting.

I purchased a sand-blaster attachment for my compressor. Big mistake. The first time I used it all I accomplished was filling my shoes with walnut shell grit. The paint chips and rust literally laughed at me. I knew it was time to go for the muscle.

I bought a grinder. The old paint didn’t have a chance against my new toy. My biggest problem now was my obesession as a proud card-carrying perfectionist. Every last speck of rust, paint, and corrosion had to go. Didn’t happen.

The finished product was beautiful. We took the set to Cottage Outfitters in Caseville, Michigan for sale. In the process, somewhere along the trip, I chipped a corner on the glass top! Ugh!

The answer to the broken glass is a new top made of wood. I used 1 x 4 inch, tongue and groove pine. I knew this material would hold together nicely.

I glued the pieces together, a few at a time, then clamped and weighted them overnight. I made the new top larger than the original glass to allow more space around the table.

The biggest challenge was making the frame on the underside to hold the tabletop in place. I glued at 24 x 48 inch rectangle made of 1 x 2 inch pine to the bottom. I then glued a 23 x 47 inch rectangle made of 1 x 3 inch pine to the first. This allowed the larger rectangle to rest on the table frame while the smaller dropped down inside to keep the table top from moving.

After the glue had plenty of time to dry, I used an orbital sander on the top and to soften and round the edges. I used a water-based, varnish with a white-wash finish on the entire piece. I then covered it with Polycrylic. Amazing, if I do say so myself. The table sold last week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s